WordPress is that the hottest blogging platform within the world. many websites including various popular blogs are using WordPress as a content publishing platform. So, hackers also are more curious about hacking WordPress based websites. WordPress usually pushes updates to patch all the known vulnerabilities, but third party themes and plugins make WordPress vulnerable. Sometimes hackers also find vulnerabilities in WordPress that allow them to hack the entire server.
In the past three months, we’ve seen 2 major zero-day vulnerabilities and mass hacking of WordPress websites. Thousands of internet sites were hacked by exploiting these vulnerabilities. There are many past examples during which one vulnerable plugin led to the hacking of whole web server hosting many websites. a couple of days back, we discussed SoakSoak malware which affected 100k websites in little or no time by exploiting the vulnerability during a plugin. So, if you’re a WordPress user, you want to lookout of security. you want to always keep your WordPress installation updated and secure.
In this post, i will be able to discuss various security plugins available for WordPress. These security plugins offer a good range of features to form your WordPress blog secure from known threats. These plugins keep their services updated with security from the newest exploits and threats. If you’re really serious about your online business running on WordPress, you want to use any of those plugins to form it secure.
WordFence is one among the foremost popular WordPress security plugins. It keeps on checking your website for malware infection. If scans all the files of your WordPress core, theme and plugins. If it finds any quite infection, it’ll notify you. It claims to form your WordPress website 50 times faster and secure. for creating your website faster, it uses Falcom caching engine. This plugin is free, but a couple of advanced features are available for premium users. If you’ll afford it, do it.
This plugin blocks bruteforce attack and may add two factor authentication via SMS. you’ll also block traffic from a selected country. It also includes a firewall to dam fake traffic, botnet and scanners. It also scans your hosting for known backdoors including C99, R57 et al. . If it finds anything, you’ll instantly get email notification.
It also scans your posts and comments for malicious code. It also supports multi-site. you’ll also check the traffic on your WordPress website in real time and see if there’s any security threat attacking your website.
BulletProof Security is another popular WordPress security plugin that takes care of varied things. It adds firewall security, database security, login security and more. It comes with four-click setup interface. Just activate this plugin then relax. it’ll lookout of your website.
It limits failed login attempts and blocks security scanners, fake traffic, IP blocking and code scanners. It keeps on checking the code of WordPress core files, themes and plugins. just in case of any known infection, it notifies admin. It also optimizes the performance of your website by adding caching. It comes with built-in file manager for htaccess. It protects WordPress websites against various vulnerabilities including XSS, RFI, CRLF, CSRF, Base64, Code Injection, SQL Injection and lots of other. This plugin keeps itself updated with new vulnerabilities to stay your website protected. It keeps on updating it consistent with new exploits and vulnerabilities.
It also features a pro version which offers some advanced features to enhance the safety of your website. But the free version is popular enough to form your website secure.
Sucuri Security is that the security plugin for WordPress. This plugin is from the favored website security and auditing company Sucuri. This plugin offers various security measures like security activity auditing, file integrity monitoring, malware scanning, blacklist monitoring, and website firewall. It incorporates various blacklist engines including Google Safe Browsing, Sucuri Labs, Norton, McAfee Site Advisor and more to see your website. If there’s anything wrong, it’ll notify you via email.
It protects your website from DOS attack, Zero Day Disclosure Patches, bruteforce attacks and other scanner attacks. It also keeps log of all activities and keep these logs safe within the Sucuri cloud. So, if an attacker is in a position to bypass the safety controls, your security logs are going to be safe within Sucuri’s security operations center.
If you’re willing to pay, you’ll choose the Sucuri premium service. they’re a documented web application security company with a team of experts. So, you’ll recover service and advice.
Additional security measures
Along with these WordPress plugins, you ought to also follow a couple of security measures from your side. These will assist you in improving the safety of your blog.
- Always keep your WordPress installation up so far . Update your WordPress as soon as possible if there’s any new WordPress update. Most of the days , hacked websites are those which are using an older version of WordPress. Older versions of WordPress always have a couple of known security issues. And exploits for these security issues are available for free of charge . Even a child can hack your website if it’s running on a vulnerable version of WordPress.
- Always keep plugins and themes added in your blog updates to latest version. New versions always accompany new features and security fixes. So, updating plugins and themes is important . Most of the time, these third party plugins and themes are the rationale for vulnerability in WordPress websites. Attackers can exploit these plugins to realize access to your website or inject malicious script in your website.
- Download themes and plugins only from trusted sources. Nulled themes and themes from untrusted sources generally contain malware within the code. If you put in any security plugin, you’ll be notified, but why to require risk. Avoid any unknown source for download plugins and themes.
- Avoid using the administrator username ‘admin’, because this is often default and customary . By using this username in your blog, you’re making the attacker’s work easier. He doesn’t got to guess the username now, just bruteforce your website for username admin. because of these plugins, bruteforce won’t work anymore.
- Always use strong password for your WordPress account. WordPress bruteforcing tools are available. So, don’t take the danger . Use an extended password with capital letters, small case letters, numbers and special characters. a mixture of those makes a robust password which is tough to guess.
These are few WordPress security plugins you’ll use to form your WordPress blog secure. you are doing not got to download of these plugins. Just try anybody and see if it suits you. If you’re not proud of its performance, you’ll download the other plugin to see and use. Every single plugin offers unique security measures . you’ll feel relaxed after having any of those plugins in your website. Malware scanning, exploit scanning and brute force protection are few features which you want to have in your website. If you’ve got an honest budget and don’t want to be in technicalities, you’ll choose premium versions of the plugins which supply more advanced security measures with detail reports. a couple of plugins also offer free customer support and security assessment with the professional version. With an increasing number of hacking attacks, it’s necessary to possess security in your website.
If you’re a WordPress user, what security plugin does one use in your website? Share it with us within the comments.